Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese?

I've been working at NC DDS for 3 years now.... Praise God for job stability, but our agency is anything but stable. In addition to the hordes of new cases that we receive daily, the frequent changes in policy and procedure, and the equipment failure and system crashes, we also have a VERY high turnover rate for employees.

A few years ago I read a book called "Who Moved My Cheese?" It was supposed to be somewhat of a self-help book about dealing with the changes that occur in your work environment. It also talked about complacency in your position, but the weirdest part was that the characters were mice. I guess all in all, it sort of makes sense when you think about what I deal with daily on the job. Ironically, our office building is like a maze and there are "Hems", "Haws", "Sniffs", and "Scurrys" all over the building.

We just had a meeting last week that highlights a new policy. We all know it won't work, but what can ya do?! We have to try it, let it fail, and show management that they need to come up with something else. In addition to that, I SWEAR I work in a high school because everybody is so concerned with what others are wearing and saying and doing.... Can't we just serve the citizens of North Carolina and go home?! I don't have time to worry about how my conversation in the hallway is going to be misinterpreted and spread all around the entire agency. I just want to do my time and get released.
Despite all the bull, it's a decent job. Sorry for ya, but I'm not leaving--- at least by my own will. I just think--- 7 more years and I may have an easy way out of all that student loan debt....

No comments:

Post a Comment